I’m glad you asked.
I have been keeping a TO DO LIST throughout my campaign. It is a living document that I have added to or adjusted throughout the campaign. This list does not include the typical tasks that a moderator does between general assemblies or the long list of governance work that board leadership is tracking (policy rewrites, reviewing monitoring reports, discussion of interpretation of ends, board self-assessment, etc.)
Rather, this is a TO DO list to keep focus on larger goals in the first months following the election.
Tamara’s Moderator TO DO List
Partner with the UUA Board to…
Create a Board working and meeting culture that:
- reflects feminist and culturally inclusive processes for sharing power and decision-making
- incorporates meeting practices to support diverse cultural, generational and personal communication styles
- commits to a work structure that is healthy and expands the circle of those who may serve at the highest levels of our Association.
Establish an outward facing Board communication strategy with the desired outcomes of:
- clarifying leadership accountability
- measurably increasing engagement with governance
- improving transparency into the processes that guide and values that inform decision-making
Develop a linkage (accountable relationship) plan that leverages the new at-large Board configuration to:
- strengthen and enliven the relationship between congregations/communities and elected trustees
- identify and engage communities that may be disadvantaged in our current power structure
- explore an expanded understanding of congregation and covenanted community and include in linkage plan
Note: There has been a call from one of our congregations and many individual allies to have leaders “investigate the accountability relationship between the Board and Ministerial Fellowship Committee, with an eye toward balancing the need to protect institutional interests with a pastoral responsibility to care for victims of misconduct.” This will require connecting with the initiators of the petition, clarifying appropriate role of moderator, identifying critical voices and participants, partnering with participants to establish desired outcomes and values that will drive the process